Sunday, January 28, 2018

The Need For More Space

Can I get a show of hands?  How many gardeners have looked at their plot and wished they had just a little more space to grow just a few more things?

Wow, that's a lot of hands.

Every spring, it's the same for me.  I'm always so filled with hope, so sure that this year, everything I plant will produce a lush cornucopia of plump, colorful fruit.  As such, I scan every empty corner of my garden space with an eye on adding a few more square feet to showcase my sumptuous bounty. 

Every year, I want more space, and every year, I don't get around to making it.  But this year, "2018 The Year Of The Garden", I am.  And the spot I've chosen is this empty space next to my workshop.


The space wasn't always empty.  Back in 2010 I put wine barrels here, lovingly arranged and colorfully stained, they were going to add a few more square feet of growing space for flowers and vegetables.  Unfortunately, container growing requires watering by hand and frequent fertilizing.  I'd thought putting these right next to the hose and only a few feet from a watering can and MiracleGro, I could keep up with it.  But alas, I am too lazy even for that.  Due to lack of care, I could never get anything to do well in these barrels.  And in the end, this photo of them empty was about as beautiful as the spot ever got.  So several years later, these barrels ended up as passengers in our bi-annual dump run.


My second try at this space will employ the same concept, though.  I like the idea of tiered planters.  This is the spot where the side vegetable garden meets the back entertainment section of our yard, so I kinda like something that will bridge the two spaces with decor and functionality.  But this time, the planters will be in the ground and with drip irrigation installed.

It will also have an arch that will trellis things like beans, cukes or tomatoes.  I just purchased this one from Hay & Needle.


So, stay tuned for updates to this project.  I have a timeline to get this done in plenty of time to plant this spring, so I'll need to hop to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment