Sunday, October 3, 2010

Garden Mushrooms

I started a new collection of mushrooms today.  These are in various shapes and sizes from containers I found at Raley's one day.  I tried a recipe for concrete that might be lighter than mortar or regular aggregate.  It was:

1 Part Portland Cement
1 1/2 Parts Sand
1 1/2 Parts Perlite


We'll see how big a difference it makes in the weight.  I'm hoping for at least noticeable, as it will be the mix I use for my next garden table.

Oh, and when determining my volume, I forgot that the Portland cement adds no volume.  Thus, when calculating my parts, I should have figured the sand/perlite volume only.  It was okay, I just mixed up more at the last minute!

2 comments:

  1. Would really love to see the finished cement mushrooms. I've thought of doing this myself one day. See my photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/deborah_lee/
    cheers, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely post them! They are a fun little project, but be careful as they can be addicting. ;-)

    ReplyDelete