Sunday, February 25, 2018

Ready, Set, Spring!!

With more planting space, this year I will have the largest garden I've ever had, and am introducing lots of new-to-me vegetables and varieties.

Here's my list:

The peppers and tomatoes I've already started from seed.  English peas and carrots are in the ground, as is the garlic I'd started last fall.  The rest will probably go in around the first of April, unless it looks as though these frosty nights will continue into spring.

With rain in the forecast for this week, I got out in the garden and emptied my compost bin into the beds, spread some granualized vegetable fertilizer, high in calcium and phosphorus, then topped with SuperSoil and steer manure I had left over from my raised bed project.  With a good soaking and time to rest, these beds will be ready for plants in a month.


I also added this new bed next to the arbor in our back yard.  I'd tried growing a clematis, but it didn't do well directly in the ground.  Now I'm trying this raised half circle and will be planting red runner beans on the one side.  Lets see if that works better.

So ready, set go.  I can't wait to get this all growing!!  C'mon spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment