Sunday, August 2, 2020

August Garden Activities

Here's what's on my garden to-do list for August:

  • Planting one final succession of pole beans this weekend.  I've been staggering plantings since April, planting a handful of beans every 60 days.  Right now is probably the last I can stretch that growing season, but I'll give it a try.
  • Planting snow peas around mid-month.  If you want to order on-line, now is the time to get them.  Look for varieties resistant to powdery mildew or otherwise recommended for fall.  I've purchased Oregon Giant from Johnny's, but many varieties are suitable for the season.
  • Planting broccoli and cabbage starts later in the month.  Look for fall varieties such as Arcadia, Marathon (broccoli) and Gonzales (cabbage)
  • Planting carrots, again--look for varieties suitable for fall planting.  This year, I'll be giving Kyoto from Baker Creek a try.  
  • Starting bok choi seeds indoors toward the end of the month for transplanting in September.  My favorite is Mei Qing Choi from Johnny's.

How do you know what varieties are suitable for fall?  Most seed companies will give you those recommendations in their catalogs and on their websites. Reputable nurseries, like Cottage Gardens and Harmony Farms will only put out the appropriate varieties for the season. 

Also, if you're ordering seeds for fall, now would be the time to pick up some lettuce, arugula and beet seeds so you have them.  I won't be planting mine until September, but the best varieties often sell out, so grab 'em while you can.


More August Activities:

Want to start a compost pile?  Now is the time to start thinking about it, as fall is the best time to start composting!

I've done several blogs about my experiments in composting.  I had to do a lot of trial and error to find what worked for me, but I'm so glad I kept at it.  Composting is the absolute best way to get good soil in your garden, make use of all your kitchen and garden waste, and save money in the process (quality compost is EXPENSIVE!)  

Though I have many more composting discussions planned, you can see my past experiments here: Lori's Compost Posts

The most recent post is about the double-bin rodent-proof compost bind I'd made myself.  I can tell you three years later, it's still rodent-free and is working fantastic!  But if that is a little too aggressive for your needs, I've also discussed other things I've tried and how well they worked.

So there you go for August!  Enjoy this summer weather and Happy Gardening!









No comments:

Post a Comment