Tomatoes (finally)!!

We were beginning to think the tomatoes would never get here!

After a check of previous garden years, I discovered it wasn't my imagination (why it's always a good idea to log and/or photograph).  Normally, we are enjoying summer tomatoes by mid-late July.  So I guess this year isn't that late.  But it sure felt like it.

For a couple weeks now, I've been enjoying the Sun Gold cherries in small amounts.  Soon, I will be swimming in them.

After that, the best producers this year are my Oxhearts and Cherokee Purple.  I've got quite a few Kellogg's Breakfast on the vines, but nothing turning yet.  

The main disappointment has been the Big Beef +.  The plant is small, about a third the size I'm used to.  I've never had a problem with Big Beef.  In fact, it's always been the gold standard in my garden.  So I suspect it's either a fluke, or there's a soil problem in the spot I grew it in.  Every year it's something, I guess.

I'm just glad the official tomato eating season has begun!  Two weeks ago, Al spent $6 on one mediocre-tasting "heirloom" from the grocery store.  I banned him from buying tomatoes after that, promising we'll have our own soon.  And now they're here.  Hopefully, we won't be buying any more over-priced, bland store tomatoes until after Thanksgiving.

 

Comments

Popular Posts