Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The 4-Week Mark

My tomatoes and peppers at the 4-week mark. I'm really happy with my results so far. They've been in the garden shed since they sprouted, and despite some chilly night time temps, they're coming along just great. Proof that I was over-thinking a lot of things when I first started out on this quest to grow from seed.



Here were my broccoli and cabbage seedlings a month ago when they were first planted:


And here they are a month later:



This is most definitely a great time to plant broccoli and cabbage. The starts are coming along great even though we've had lots of nights of freezing temps. I think I'll end up with a good harvest before it's time to pull them for my summer plantings.

And lastly, here's my bok choi 6 weeks after planting them in these barrels. They're almost ready for picking. I'm guessing another 2 weeks and I can start harvesting:


Oh, and if you're wondering why I've got netting and chicken wire all over everything, it's the neighbor's $#&%%!! cats!! They crap in my beds when I don't have much planted, so I've got to cover everything. Grrrrr....

7 comments:

  1. I totally get your cat issue! I've had to put chicken wire and other things on top of the garden. It is still early in the season and not much has grown in. They usually stay out of the containers since there isn't much room but they love the garden.

    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really surprised to find that it had jumped up into my wine barrels. I woke up one morning to find one of my bok choi plants completely covered in dirt, grrrrr. In the summer, when all the plants are full, they seem to stay out, but it's still annoying to have to cover everything. I always brought my cats in at night. I wish these people would too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through a post on tomato seeds on GardenWeb. Nice growing. I adore the whiskey barrels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things are looking great. I am hoping to get my broccoli out later this week (I am zone 5, Iowa)

    http://groceriesgardenanddinner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! The barrels are a new addition this year because I wanted more space in the garden. I think that's always the case, LOL.

    And thanks, Ali! Love your blog. What a nice huge yard you have. We don't get much of that here in California unless you're a farmer or a millionaire. LOL Good luck with the broccoli. I'm hoping my spring crop produces before the weather gets too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the barrels as well - I'm in CA's Murphys wine area and folks use them for everything. Had not seen them painted (stained?) as yours are - love it!

    Found you on the GW Veg site.

    http://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! And thanks for the link to your blog. I will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete