After the first infusion, I'd said I set the bar low. If figured it I could just stay out of the hospital, this next infusion would be an improvement over the first one.
I take that all back. I didn't end up in the hospital, but thanks to the injection I'm getting now which stimulate marrow growth and (hopefully) prevent the loss of almost all my white blood counts, in exchange for a hospital stay, I got two days of severe migraine headaches that made me want to put a gun to my head and pull the trigger.
Migraines run in my family. I'd never had one before. I hope to never have one again, but unfortunately, I have two more infusions to go through which will no doubt bring them back. I am not looking forward to this. I had 2nd my infusion last Thursday, it's now Tuesday (it is Tuesday, right?) and I'm only now just emerging from the fog.
This has all been made worse by the fact that Al is now sick, and the doctors have been taking samples trying to find out what's wrong. We thought he'd caught one of the infections I came home with from my hospital stay, but that test came up negative. Now, we are waiting for more test results.
So, pretty much since Saturday, this house has been a giant tomb of misery. No one sleeps, no one eats. We are all patients and no care-givers.
On the upside, I think I am beginning to come out of my fog, at least. But I will tell you this: Chemotherapy can NOT end soon enough. And if I should ever be put in this situation again, I will not immediately agree to it. It will be a very hard sell for the next oncologist.
My only hope is there will never have to be such a thing as a "next time"!