Saturday, April 2, 2011

6 Weeks

Giving my tomatoes and peppers a day in the sunshine. They are at the 6 week mark and still doing beautifully.



On a related note, here is the mini "greenhouse" I bought last year.  I'd scoured the internet and researched and researched, finally finding it at my grocery store, of all places.  I bought it and a year later, I can say it was a colossal waste of money.  In fact, if I wasn't storing my seed domes and trays in it right now, I'd probably get rid of it.



The open shelving that's sitting next to it is really all I need for a place to set out some seedlings to harden off or get some sun.  Our weather here is so mild, we don't need this plastic cover.  In fact, the plastic cover becomes a hazard because it gets too hot and prevents the air circulation seedlings need, which is one of the reason you'd want to give them outside time in the first place.

So if you're considering one of these, unless you plan on putting seedlings out in the snow, don't waste your money.  The light set-up I put in the shed has been the perfect situation for the seeds.  They get light and heat from the lights, but the shed also shades them in the event it turns hot on me during the day.  I open the windows to give them air, and when I'm home on the weekends, I set them outside to give them fresh air.  No need for fancy, rikety, shelves that blow over at the slightest breeze.

In fact, now that I've said all this, I think I am going to take it apart and toss it!

3 comments:

  1. My mother in law bought me a cheap plastic shelving unit for my greenhouse. It only has 3 shelves and is much smaller than yours. To help protect against the wind, I cut up a shower curtain we were getting rid of and just wrapped it around the shelves. I left the short sides open to let the air in. It does it's job and I don't need anything bigger for now.

    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, had one of those useless plastic greenhouses (I think mine was from Big Lots.) I like the shelves you're using now much better. They look nice and sturdy -- as do the plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! When we had those storms a few weeks back, my "greenhouse" was half way across the yard, even with a big cinder block on the bottom shelf. But the gray shelves were fine. I think that was the deciding point for me!

    ReplyDelete