Sunday, October 23, 2011

Container Woes

Of grave disappointment are these three wine barrels. I have yet to grow anything in them that comes close to matching the success I have with plants in the ground.


These carrots and onions have been stuck in this state for a solid month. Not dying but not growing either. I guess I now understand the trials of people who try to garden in poor soil. I'm spoiled with my clay. It holds in nutrients so well that I don't need to fertilize much to get healthy plants. I only need to amend the soil a couple times a year and I'm pretty good to go.


And I'd assumed I could do the same with my containers. I'd made a stew of SuperSoil Potting Soil, steer manure, bone meal, sand...all kinds of good things to plant in. Then I stuck in my plants. And they haven't done much. They grow, but they're small compared to what's growing in the beds. 

So I started reading up on container gardening. I've decided my problem is fertilizer. I guess if I want veggies in containers, I'll need to fertilize weekly. At least, that's what I'm going to try. If I can't get any success doing that, I'm throwing in some geraniums and calling it a day.

I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment