Saturday, May 12, 2012

Best Thing Ever: Pelleted Carrot Seeds

To you, these are little white dots in the dirt. The fact that you can even see them makes them the best thing ever! I discovered pelleted carrot seeds from Johnny's last year, and I'll never plant carrots any other way. Yes, they are a little more expensive, but in the end, I swear it's cheaper.


To plant three rows, I used about 1/2 a packet of seeds. If they were regular seeds, I would have used the whole pack but I would have ended up with the same amount of carrots in the end. Why? Because unpelleted carrot seeds are sooooo tiny, you can't see them much less spread them sparingly. So instead, gardeners toss them in a line, wait for the plants to sprout, then go through the daunting and backbreaking task of thinning.


With these little beauties, I plant exactly what I need and let them go. The only danger I have is the neighborhood cats, but that's another post for another day. ;-D

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the pictures! I'm planting pellets for the first time, but can't find information on how to plant them differently than regular seed. My philosophy on thinning is .... well...I don't. So, this year pellets!

    ReplyDelete