But Mr. Sea is finally done!
Here's a pictorial of the progression.
Started by creating the basic shape using scrunched up newspaper and masking tape.
Using galvanized wire, I covered the shape by "sewing" diamond lath around the form.
Spread layers of mortar over the lath until it is completely covered.
In the future, I would do the base before the mortar, but in this case, I did it after. The base was custom formed, then simply poured concrete.
I used a slurry of Portland cement and brushed it over the form when complete to give him the smoothest possible surface prior to the mosaic treatment.
Then the loooong process of covering the surface with tile.
Last up was to simply grout him and enjoy!